Hanekom knew of ‘war’ car bombs
08 August 2012 | ILSE DE LANGE
JOHANNESBURG - Judge Eben Jordaan continued his judgment against Hanekom, but adjourned the trial early and will only resume judgment on Monday next week.
He rejected Hanekom’s evidence that he had never been fully informed of Boeremag leader Tom Vorster’s D-Day plans for the coup and did not know that car bombs had been used.
Judge Jordaan said Hanekom had been with Vorster throughout the planning of the coup and knew that cars were rented and a warehouse obtained from where attacks would be launched.
It was not an innocent exercise and he did not stop it because it was “disorganised”, but because the police knew about the plan and were waiting for them.
As co-author of letters declaring war against the government and call-up instructions to citizen’s force members, he knew they were going to war. Hanekom was Vorster’s second-in-command and had also accepted rank insignia signifying his appointment as a “general” from Vorster, the judge said.
Although Hanekom was in court yesterday, 10 of the 20 Boeremag accused were not present for the judgment, either for “personal reasons” or because they were unable to attend through illness.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
looklocal Pretoria Moot
looklocal Pretoria East
looklocal Randfontein Westonaria
looklocal Rosebank Killarney
looklocal Eastern Highveld