210g chocolate, melted
15ml rum or brandy
5ml baking powder
600g mixed nuts, chopped
Icing sugar, to dust, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 23cm, 5cm deep square tin.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together. Slowly add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
3. Stir in the melted chocolate, coffee and alcohol.
4. Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold into the mix.
5. Add the nuts, mix again and bake in the middle of the oven for 20 – 25 minutes. Brownies are ready when a skewer inserted in the centre comes out warm with slightly sticky crumbs clinging to it.
6. Leave the brownies to cool before cutting into squares. Dust with icing sugar if desired.
Brought to you by Food and Home