NewsNews

Driekop house burnt to ashes

The family has lost their hard earned furniture, clothes, foods, blankets and their ID documents, they are pleading for help from the locals.

DRIEKOP – A family of five has lost everything when their newly built seven-room house burnt to ashes on the night of November 15.

The Makhubedu family has lost furniture, clothes, blankets, food and their ID documents.

They are now forced to rely on clothes from donors and well-wishers. Their house was finished last year in August – they are now homeless and don’t have the means to built another one.

According to the owner of the damaged house, Mr Samuel Makhubedu (41), the destructive fire might have been caused by the candle that was left alight in their dining room.

“I went out at about 23:50 to buy cigarettes, my wife was at a funeral and my kids were sleeping. I think I spent about 15 minutes at the store. I was shocked to see the blazing inferno upon my return. My neighbours and my kids tried in vain to contain the blaze,” said the heart-broken father.

Firefighters arrived on the scene but it was too little too late, as the fire had already destroyed the family’s valuables.

Makhubedu is not certain about the cause of the fire, “I could have been a candle, or maybe, somebody just set the house alight,” he suspected.

Makhubedu’s wife, Ms Lucky Maupa (31) told this reporter it was hard to accept the situation.

“We just have to thank God that no-one was injured, my kids who were inside the house at the time are only 10 and 13,” the unemployed mother said. Local businesses and community members donated corrugated irons to erect a shack for the family. When Steelburger/Lydenburg News visited the family, the community was busy putting the final touches to the shack.

The locals say the area needs to be electrified, as the candles and outdoor fires are the main causes of fires in their homes.

Local councillor, Ms Joyce Riba, says she has already spoke to Greater Tubatse Municipality’s Disaster Management office to help relieve the family’s plight.

The family estimated that their loss to be more than R400 000. Those who wish to help the family can contact Ms Lucky Maupa on 078-211-3000.

.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Lowvelder in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button