Simnikiwe Hlatshaneni
Premium Journalist
5 minute read
24 Oct 2016
9:45 pm

Update: Culpable homicide case open following fatal Tembisa train crash

Simnikiwe Hlatshaneni

One person trapped within the trains' wreckage has been declared dead.

A case of culpable homicide and collision had been opened after two trains collided in Esselen Park, Tembisa on Monday afternoon.

This is according to police spokesperson Captain Kay Makhubela who said the case would be investigated and presented to a prosecutor.

He said no arrests had been made as of yet.

One person was killed and over 240 injured after two trains collided on the rail split from the Kaalfontein Station towards the Oakmoor and Tembisa stations on Monday afternoon.

Ekurhuleni disaster and emergency management spokesperson William Ntladi said the two passenger Metrorail trains collided head-on. “Both trains were travelling in opposite directions on one lane,” said Ntladi, but he said it was unclear how this occurred.

He confirmed that one male patient died and by 5pm on Monday, the number of passengers injured in the collision stood at 243. He said six train carriages were destroyed; two carriages had moved off the railway track.

He said it was not clear how many passengers were on board the two trains at the time of the collision.

The Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (Prasa) is investigating the fatal train collision.

Gauteng Metrorail spokesperson Lillian Mofokeng attended the scene and Prasa issued a statement apologising for he ‘inconvenience’, confirming that ‘Metrorail Train 1851 travelling from Tembisa to Elandsfontein collided head on with Train 1848 between Kaalfontein and Tembisa stations.

The statement read that trains were turning around at Kaalfontein and that trains travelling between Kaalfontein and Leralla were affected.

ER24 paramedics attended the scene and found passengers were scattered around the scene. “On further inspection, paramedics discovered a body lying trapped inside the wreckage. Unfortunately, nothing more could be done and the patient was declared dead on the scene,” read the statement on the ER24 website.

ER24 paramedics said a triage area was set up to treat patients before they were transported to nearby medical facilities for further treatment.

Emer-G-Med paramedics spokesperson Max Cohen said on-scene reports indicated that the injured passengers sustained minor to moderate injuries and would be transported to Tembisa Hospital and surrounding medical facilities for further treatment.

The Gauteng Transport MEC Ismail Vadi as well as Ekurhuleni Mayor Mzwandile Masina expressed their condolences for the man who was fatally injured in the collision. Masina said he hoped an investigation in the matter would provide answers. “This is a sad incident indeed. We are extremely saddened and disturbed by the loss of life and the accident in general. Hopefully investigations will explain what transpired and such incidents are avoided going forward,” he said in a statement.

Earlier this year, the railway agency came under fire after the Railway Safety Regulator alleged that the Prasa stifled its investigation into the April 2015 train crash at Denver station that killed a guard and injured 240 passengers. A report by the regulator in March, criticised Prasa’s system for not communicating with train drivers, inadequate maintenance and a shortage of critical personnel staff.

Caxton News Service

October 24, 3.30pm:

Gauteng Metrorail spokesperson Lillian Mofokeng is at the scene of the train collision and has confirmed that one person died and more 100 were injured.

She said the injured passengers were being attended to at the scene but could not confirm any further details at this time.

Emer-G-Med spokesperson Max Cohen has stated that on-scene reports indicate that between 150 and 200 passengers have sustained minor to moderate injuries.

He said the injured patients would be transported to Tembisa Hospital and surrounding medical facilities for further treatment.

 

October 24, 2.40pm:

The estimated number of injured passengers of two trains that collided on the Tembisa line near Kaalfontein, in the east of Johannesburg, on Monday afternoon has risen to 100.

This is according to ER24’s paramedics, who said the patients injuries ranged from minor to moderate.

“ER24 paramedics, along with numerous other services, arrived on the scene and found that the two trains had collided head-on. Numerous occupants had already begun to climb out of the train and were now scattered around the scene,” said ER24 paramedics in a blog post on the ER24 website.

“On further inspection, paramedics discovered a body lying trapped inside the wreckage. Unfortunately, nothing more could be done, and the patient was declared dead on the scene.”

ER24 said emergency services set up a triage area to assess and treat patients before transporting them to nearby medical facilities for further care.

The emergency medical service further stated that emergency services would be on scene for some time due to the number of patients on the scene.

Metrorail confirmed the collision on their Twitter handle:

October 24, 2pm:

Emer-G-Med has dispatched multiple vehicles after reports of a train crash between Tembisa and Kaalfontein train stations on the East Rand this afternoon.

Emer-G-Med spokesperson Max Cohen said: “Paramedics have arrived on the scene. Two trains have collided on the rail split from Kaalfontein Station towards Oakmoor and Tembisa stations.”

59319d727a8719ced51ad4fb1dc4394af0795455c781bf71b5pimgpsh_fullsize_distr

Two trains collided in Esselen Park on Monday. Picture: Emer-G-Med.

“At this stage, one person has been declared dead and is entrapped within the trains’ wreckage,” said Cohen.

So far, it has been estimated that as many as 50 passengers have sustained minor to moderate injuries.

Additional ambulances and Advanced Life Support vehicles have been dispatched to the scene.

Paramedics have confirmed one person has died in the crash. Picture: @brentsw3 on Twitter.

Paramedics have confirmed one person has died in the crash. Picture: @brentsw3 on Twitter.

Updates will follow.

 

Caxton News Service