The trial of a Nigerian man accused of turning a young girl into a sex slave has been postponed to March 17.
The 37-year-old man remains in custody as his bail was denied in the Pretoria Magistrates’ Court in December last year, Rekord East reported.
He is facing charges of human trafficking, kidnapping and rape.
Sunnyside police spokesperson Captain Daniel Mavimbela said a 12-year-old girl was reported missing from her home in Mamelodi in early September.
“According to reports, the the grade 7 learner left home to meet friends at a recreational park just outside Silverton,” said Mavimbela.
An unknown girl led her to a flat in Sunnyside, east of Pretoria, where they spent the night together.
Mavimbela said when the girl woke up the following morning, she saw the man sitting on the bed.
There was no sign of the unknown girl.
“From that point on, the man allegedly kept the young girl as his sex slave and raped her repeatedly,” he said.
“It is believed that during the same period, the man attempted to groom the victim into prostitution.”
The girl was also apparently beaten for failing to attract motorists to engage in sexual relations with her, according to police.
She was granted her freedom after being spotted by a passerby when she tried to escape from the flat.
“Though the man was not present at that time, he is said to have appeared on the scene. He unwillingly agreed to release the girl shortly thereafter,” said Mavimbela.
The man was arrested in December after the matter was reported to the local police.
– Caxton News Service