Three suspects were arrested on Sunday, July 30, a day after they had conducted an armed robbery in Apel, Review Online reports.
Police spokesperson Brigadier Motlafela Mojapelo says the four men entered the bar, threatened and robbed the owners of cash, two pistols and pump-action rifle.
Nearby residents managed to grab one of the suspects at the back of the bar and burned him beyond recognition. The suspect was later identified as a resident from Ga Mashabela, in Masemola.
When police were alerted to the robbery, a crime intelligence-led operation, comprising members from the National Intervention Unit followed up information that resulted in the arrest on Sunday morning.
The three suspects were arrested in Soshanguve, Gauteng. “Two of the arrested suspects are from Mamelodi and one is from Soshanguve and are aged 32, 34, and 36-years-old, respectively,” Mojapelo said.
READ MORE: WATCH: Armed robbers hit Atrium store
The following items were seized during the arrest:
- One Taurus firearm, with eight live rounds of ammunition. The serial number had been filed off.
- Two Norinco firearms with two magazines and 31 live rounds of ammunition. The serial numbers were also filed off.
- One VW polo, reported stolen from Ekangala in Mpumalanga this month.
- An amount of cash R14 000, stolen from the scene in Apel.
The provincial commissioner Lieutenant-General Nneke Ledwaba commended the team for the swift action in sending a clear message that the police will, at all times, be relentless when dealing with criminals.
“The message that we are sending is that our members are at a ready position to pounce on anyone committing Trio crimes and any other crime in the province. I, however, have to warn residents to desist from taking the law into their own hands as this is also a criminal conduct,” Ledwaba said.
The arrested suspects will appear in the Lebowakgomo Magistrates’ Court soon on charges of armed robbery, possession of a stolen motor vehicle as well as possession of illegal arms and ammunition.
“Police investigations are continuing regarding the stolen firearms,” Mojapelo concluded.
– Caxton News Service