Dlamini has been nominated as an additional board member for the new ASA executive, which will be elected on June 7.
“I want to use my skills to help build the sport and unite people,” Dlamini said yesterday.
“I don’t want to be elected to the board if it means I must join a camp.”
Dlamini was suspended by the SA Sports Confederation and Olympic Comittee (Sascoc) in February 2011, along with former ASA president Leonard Chuene and vice-president Kakata Maponyane.
While Sascoc said at the time the trio had been found guilty of numerous charges, including poor corporate governance and tax evasion, Dlamini insisted he had never been charged with these offences and was only found guilty of lying about sending 800m runner Caster Semenya for gender testing.
Since the Semenya scandal in 2011, ASA has lost all its corporate sponsors and remains around R5 million in debt. with internal conflict repeatedly damaging the federation’s public image.
A school teacher by profession, with a PhD in education and an MBA, Dlamini believed he had numerous skills to offer the new ASA board.
“I told the people who nominated me that I’m not taking a senior position because I do not want to disrupt order,” he said.
As many as five individuals could be added to the initial list of nominees for the new executive.