“I’ve never understood this case because Lane was not banned by Sascoc,” Reddy said.
“We have no jurisdiction to prevent her from participating in athletics in her personal capacity,” Reddy, pictured, added.
Lane, 69, won a case at the South Gauteng High Court, with costs, on Thursday when Judge Gregory Wright set aside Sascoc’s decision to suspend her in November 2009, and declared she was entitled to participate in any capacity in any sport.
“I was banned with no explanation from a sport I’ve been involved in since 1976,” Lane said.
She claimed she had been “treated like dirt” in an effort to clear her name and return to athletics, and said she had never been charged or investigated.
Wright stated in his judgment that Lane had exhausted internal remedies before taking the case to court.
Reddy, however, said the case was pointless, as Sascoc would not have stopped Lane from coaching or officiating in athletics over the past four years.
While the governing body suspended her after placing ASA under administration in November 2009, Lane resigned from the board shortly afterwards, which had taken the matter out of Sascoc’s hands.
If she wanted to make a comeback as an administrator, Reddy said Lane would need to face an ASA disciplinary hearing.
“The only people who were banned by Sascoc were the three board members who did not resign – Leonard Chuene, Kakata Maponyane and Simon Dlamini,” Reddy said.
James Evans, the ASA president, said the national athletics body was distancing itself from the matter.
“Sascoc insisted on dealing with that process so they must live with the consequences,” he said.
If Lane was not banned from the sport, Evans said Sascoc should not have defended the case.
“It would have been stillborn if they had just replied that she wasn’t banned.”
Reddy confirmed Sascoc’s lawyers would seek leave to appeal the judgment.