A suspected Pretoria north serial rapist is recovering in hospital under police guard after he was apprehended and assaulted by an angry mob.
The 28-year-old man, who is currently facing nine counts of rape and armed robbery, is believed to have attacked, raped and robbed women in Pretoria north, Bon Accord and Onderstepoort, police spokesperson Lieutenant Rebecca Phatlhane said.
Phatlhane said police received a tip-off that residents had caught a man Tuesday, believed to have recently raped a woman, Rekord North reported.
By the time the police got to the scene near the bridge on Lavender Road in Bon Accord, the man had already been assaulted by residents.
“He has not appeared in court yet as he is still in hospital.”
The accused would allegedly abduct women at gunpoint and rape them before fleeing with their belongings, Phatlhane said.
It is not clear how the man was identified, however, one of his alleged victims, a 28-year-old Zimbabwean national, said she was on her way to catch a train to work in Bon Accord when she was approached by the man.
“Around 04am, as I was about to get on the platform, the man held me at gunpoint and dragged me into the bushes,” she said on Thursday.
She said the man repeatedly assaulted her before raping her twice. He was also armed with a knife.
“He beat me up, then raped me and robbed me… he left with my cellphone, my passport and some money,” she alleged.
Since the incident, the alleged victim has lost her job as she was afraid to go anywhere.
– Caxton News Service