The ad hoc committee appointed by the National Assembly to deal with the board of the SABC will meet for the first time tomorrow and, according to parliamentary spokesperson Justice Molafo, has been given until January to decide on the board’s fitness to hold office.
The Democratic Alliance said yesterday it would insist that the inquiry into the SABC take place this year.
“Parliament cannot go into recess with such serious governance issues plaguing the public broadcaster unresolved,” the DA said.
Initially, the inquiry was supposed to be conducted by the portfolio committee on communications, but earlier this month, SABC board chairperson Mbulaheni Maguvhe wrote a letter to the chairperson of the communications committee, Humphrey Maxegwana, saying the board objected to the inquiry being conducted by the same committee members.
The letter said it suspected that the portfolio committee members were already biased against the board. Last month, the remaining board members refused to resign after the committee told the board to resign or face an inquiry.
Multiple resignations this year, three of which happened last month after the reinstatement of former COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng, have left the board with just three remaining members: Maguvhe, Nomvuyo Mhlakaza and Aaron Tshidzumba.
This meant that the board did not meet the nine-person quorum to constitute a legally viable board. But on November 3, Communications Minister Faith Muthambi told parliament that the SABC board was functional and could take decisions despite only having three members.