Citizen reporter
2 minute read
17 Nov 2016
12:50 pm

WATCH: David Mahlobo ‘lying’ about knowing Mcebo Dlamini

Citizen reporter

The minister contradicted himself on his 'relationship' with the student leader.

Minister of Energy David Mahlobo. (Photo: GCIS)

State Security Minister David Mahlobo has been caught lying about his relationship with controversial student leader Mcebo Dlamini.

Days after claiming the outspoken ANC Youth League member “has been in my house several times”, the minister changed his tune. He told the National Assembly on Wednesday that “Mcebo Dlamini has not been to my house”.

“Mcebo was brought and arrested by the police. And I happen to know Mcebo. He has been to my house several times,” said Mahlobo while speaking at a panel discussion hosted by the Institute of Security Studies on Monday three days ago. However, when Mahlobo was asked to clarify his relationship with Dlamini while answering questions in the National Assembly on Wednesday, the minister said: “Firstly, the member speaks as a fact on a newspaper article, without actually putting fact to the nation. One … my answer, Madam Speaker. The meeting never took place. Mcebo Dlamini has not been to my house.”

During the panel discussion, the minister also denied being behind Dlamini’s arrest. The student protest leader was arrested last month and spent about three weeks behind bars. He was charged with malicious damage to property, theft, assault and public violence during student protests at Wits University.

In a recent Al Jazeera documentary, a self-confessed rhino poacher, Guan Jiang Guang, openly bragged about bribing South African justice and immigration officials.

The massage parlour owner in Mbombela bragged with a slideshow of photographs on his phone that appear to show him and Mahlobo. However, the minister said he had only been a customer of the Chinese massage parlour and salon/spa, but it had nothing to do with rhino poaching.

In an official statement, the minister’s spokesperson said that “the minister refutes these ludicrous allegations with all the contempt they deserve and reserves his rights in respect of those making such false claims. Additionally, he strongly rebukes Al Jazeera and other local publications and broadcasters that reported on the story in the sensation seeking, unprofessional and reckless manner.”