Rorisang Kgosana
Premium Journalist
2 minute read
6 Dec 2016
6:46 am

TUT student accused of killing fellow student gets bail

Rorisang Kgosana

Chuma is accused of killing his roommate following a fight over a padlock.

The Student Residence number 22 where a murder had taken place in the early morning hours, 2 December 2016, TUT main campus, Tshwane. Picture: Jacques Nelles

The Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) student accused of killing another student last week was granted bail in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

Reuben Chuma, 23, walked into the courtroom with frightened eyes. He stood with his arms crossed in the dock, shaking while his attorney read out an affidavit on his behalf.

He told the court that he was a second-year animal production student at the institution, currently writing his final exams for a diploma.

“I am currently writing exams and have no passport or relatives outside the country. My mother is an unemployed single parent and I depend on my uncle. I have no intention of contacting any state witness or to discuss the merits of this case,” he told the court.

“I am writing my final exams and I desperately need to complete my diploma so I can seek work next year. I ask for bail, which will be paid by my uncle, who also pays my school fees.”

Chuma was granted R2 000 bail. The matter was transferred and will be heard next Wednesday in the Atteridgeville Magistrate’s Court.

ALSO READ: Pupil dies after school bus accident

Last Friday, Chuma and the deceased, Mbuso Nyambi, a final year electrical engineering student, were allegedly arguing in Lezard Men’s residence on the Pretoria West campus at about 1am when one of them attacked the other. Nyambi died on the scene.

According to TUT student representative council president Nkosinathi Maseko, the pair were roommates and had been fighting over a padlock.

“Apparently the suspect changed the padlock as he had lost the key and the deceased changed the lock as he didn’t have keys to access their room. They ended up arguing. According to witnesses, the victim didn’t fight back when he was attacked,” he said.

Chuma, however, told the court he resided with his uncle in Pretoria West.

TUT spokesperson Willa de Ruyter could not confirm if both students were registered at the residence. “In view of the police investigation currently under way, the matter is sub judice and the university cannot provide any information,” she said.

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.