Denise Williams
1 minute read
31 Jan 2017
11:13 am

Criminal charges laid against SABC by Icasa

Denise Williams

The Hawks and the public broadcaster allegedly know nothing about the charges.

Photo: Sowetan

The SABC has yet to avoid controversy this year, with the revelation in parliament on Tuesday that the Independent Communications Authority of SA (Icasa) has laid charges for failing to rescind its editorial censorship policy.

But the Hawks and the public broadcaster appear to know nothing about it.

Briefing parliament’s portfolio committee on communications on Tuesday, Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa) councillor Nomvuyiso Batyi said the regulator had few options left to force the SABC to comply legally.

READ THIS: READ: Charles Nqakula’s open letter to Calata and SABC 8 

Last year, during election period, the SABC instituted a directive to not report on any violent protests.

The SABC had admitted to Icasa’s complaints compliance committee that it had made “mistakes”, saying it would adhere to any punishment, including admitting guilt and paying a fine. But it emerged the SABC picked and chose which punishment it would take.

Batyi said the broadcaster failed to notify its staff that the editorial policy regarding censorship had been canned.

But the Hawks and the SABC were not aware of the Icasa criminal case against the broadcaster for failing to rescind its editorial censorship policy.

Hawks spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said he was not aware of such a probe.

SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said the SABC, following an Icasa directive, publicly announced it would no longer censor any editorial footage of violent public protests.

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.