The ANC has condemned Brian Molefe’s shocking return to the helm of Eskom as CEO, saying the decision by the power utility’s board to reinstate the disgraced executive is “unfortunate and reckless”.
“Mr Molefe left Eskom under a cloud following the release of the Public Protector’s report into State Capture late last year. The report, while still under review, made observations against Mr. Molefe which, at the time, he had deemed serious and significant enough to warrant his resignation. Amongst others, he cited the interests of the company, good corporate governance and the interest of the public, as underlying his departure from the utility,” ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said in a statement on Friday morning.
“None of the observations against Mr Molefe, so significant at the time, have been conclusively set aside and Mr. Molefe’s own commitment to fully clear his name is still pending.
“The decision therefore to reinstate him in his former position without these matters being resolved is tone deaf to the South African public’s absolute exasperation and anger at what seems to be government’s lackluster and lackadaisical approach to dealing decisively with corruption, perceived or real,” Kodwa added.
He said the ruling party would meet with Public Enterprises Minister Lynne Browne to get clarity on Molefe’s reinstatement.
Earlier, parliament confirmed that Molefe had resigned his seat as an MP for the ANC.
“Parliament wishes to confirm the resignation of Mr Brian Molefe as a Member of Parliament effective from Sunday, May 14. The Speaker of the National Assembly, Ms Baleka Mbete, wishes Mr Molefe well,” a statement from the legislature said.
Molefe is due to return to Eskom on Monday after his resignation from the power producer earlier this year in January.