Thapelo Lekabe
Digital Journalist
1 minute read
19 Feb 2018
12:21 pm

SABC has not fired Peter Ndoro – Maroleng

Thapelo Lekabe

Ndoro has taken a break from television after telling SABC management he is fatigued.

SABC news anchor Peter Ndoro (left) and President Cyril Ramaphosa. Picture: Twitter/@peterndoro

Seasoned SABC news anchor Peter Ndoro has not been fired from the public broadcaster after he mistakenly declared last week that President Cyril Ramaphosa had died on national television.

That’s according to SABC COO Chris Maroleng this morning on Twitter.

“SABC news would like to reiterate that Peter Ndoro has not been fired. He has been allowed some time to rest at his own request. We look forward to seeing him on our screens soon,” he tweeted.

Maroleng was responding to statements made by Human Settlements Minister Lindiwe Sisulu in the National Assembly earlier this morning that Ndoro had been sacked from the SABC.

“We have learnt with regret that Mr Peter Ndoro has lost his job. Mr President, please stand up and say you have forgiven him. He is an outstanding broadcaster of this country,” she said.

Sisulu was speaking during the debate on the president’s state of the nation address (Sona).

In a statement last Friday, SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said Ndoro had apologised to the presidency and his apology was accepted. He said Ndoro indicated to management that he was fatigued and needed some time to rest.

The SABC agreed to his request and he has taken a break from television.

ALSO READ:

SABC News anchor does it again… declares Ramaphosa dead

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.