Gopolang Moloko
1 minute read
20 Apr 2018
2:59 pm

Correctional Services suspend three officials linked to 16-men escape

Gopolang Moloko

The department says investigations continue as they dig for answers to the 16-men escape which happened on Monday last week.

The two officials working at the prison were arrested on Thursday. Image: Facebook/Intelligence Bureau SA

Three other Department of Correctional service officials are suspended pending an internal investigation linked to the 16 men escape from the Johannesburg Medium A prison on Monday last week.

More officials may be suspended according to the Correctional Service Departments’ spokesperson Monama Mocheta.

Mocheta confirmed that the two other officials arrested on Thursday for allegedly aiding to the 16 men escape were granted bail of R 5 000 each, after appearing in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Friday.

The two officials are due to appear again on May 3.

The departments Gauteng Regional Commissioner Thakane Grace Molatedi issued a statement expressing disappointment at the developments.

“DCS [Department of Correctional Service] will fully cooperate with the investigation by the SAPS to ensure that we leave no stone unturned in getting to the bottom of this escape,” Molatedi said, adding that those found guilty will face the full might of the law.

Since January 2017, 1036 disciplinary cases have been finalized for various acts of misconduct within the department. The number of officials dismissed stands at 42 officials, while others faced additional sanctions and others found not guilty, according to the department.

The department added that they will continue to root out all forms of unlawful activities in ensuring a high safety and security standard.

Nine men of the 16 escapees are still on the run, and police confirmed that five were rearrested during the week. Two of the men were fatally shot in KwaZulu-Natal on Tuesday last week after a shootout with police.

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.