Johannesburg Water on Friday said Rand Water had issued a “notice of 20% water restrictions to municipalities in Gauteng due to the network being under severe pressure”.
Joburg Water restrictions
The utility said the water demand now consistently exceeded the supply, and the restrictions were implemented “to allow for the recovery of its network systems”.
Residents have been urged to use water sparingly and in line with the City of Johannesburg’s level 1 water restrictions. Due to the latest set of restrictions, 36 reservoirs in Gauteng have been affected.
Affected regions in Johannesburg
- Rem Allandale and President Park Reservoirs – supplies greater Midrand, President Park, Kaalfontein,Ebony Park, Rabie Ridge and Ivory Park
- Halfway House South, Diepsloot Town and Abbatoir & Market – supplies greater City Deep, Tulisa Park Stafford and Steeledale ,
- Sandton No1 and Sandton No2, Malvern East, North East Areas, Linksfield Ridge Reservoir
- Meadowlands Res North and Meadowlands Res South: supplies Dobsonville, Jabavu,Orlando, Mofolo and Dube
- Braamfischerville Ext 12 and Braamfischer: supplies Braamfischer, Meadowlands and Mmesi Park
- Roodepoort Deep Township: supplies Hamberg,Rand Leases, Roodepoort and Creswell Park
- Protea Glen:supplies greater Protea Glen,
- Hursthill reservoir: supplies Montgomerry, Albertville,Westbury,Northcliff, Greymont, Coronationville and Triomf
- Orlando Power Station: supplies Orlando East,Orlando West, Nomzamo and kplipsruit
- Diepkloof Reservoir: supplies Diepkloof and Noordgesig
- Whiteridge North Ridge:supplies Helderkruin, Weltevreden park,Constantia Park, Allens Nek and Florida Park
- Doornkop North and Corriemoor Reservoir: supplies Fairland, Blackheath and Quellerina
- Chiawelo Reservoir: supplies Chiawelo, Klipriviersoog, Dlamini and Protea North
- Zondi Reservoir: supplies Zondi, Molestane Emdeni, Naledi, Zola, Doornkop and Zola
- Doornkop Reservoir and Power Park : supplies Eldorado Park, Nancefield, Pimville and Devland
- Grobler Park Reservoir and Fleurhof: supplies Fleurhof and Lea Glen
- Lenasia Township: supplies greater Lenasia and the sorroundings areas
- Abbatoirs Hamburger: Florida Lake , Florida Park and Discovery ext 2 and 5
- Boschkop Reservoir: Radiokop, Randparkrif and Weltevredenpark
- Cosmo City: Cosmo city, Kya Sands, Northriding, Zandspruit , Hoogland, Lanseria, Moslyn park
- Commando road and Claremont: Claremont, Industria North and Delarey
- Cornelius street: Fairland, Weltevreden Park, Allens Nek, Randparkrif
- Honeydew Reservoir 1and 2: Honeydew Manor, Radiokop, Ruimsig A.H, Honeydew Grove, Honeydew Ridge, Aanwins A.H and Ambot A.H
- Horizon North: Georgina, Discovery, Horison and Roodepoort North
- Noordgesig township: Noordgesig and Pennyville
- Watervall dall and Watervar Reservoir: Bergbron, Greymont, Northcliff, Quellerina and Florida Hills
- Weltevreden bypass: Radiokop, Willowbrook, Weltevreden Park, Poortview , Amarosa and Wilgeheuwel
Where to get water
Water tankers will be made available and residents are encouraged to follow Johannesburg Water’s social media accounts as the utility will issue a notice when the tankers are in place.
How to save water
- Ensure dripping taps are closed properly.
- Repair leaking taps and toilets as soon as possible.
- Wash your vehicle on the grass and water your lawn at the same time.
- Put an empty 2L plastic bottle or a brick in the toilet’s water tank.
- Use a watering-can whenever possible, instead of a hosepipe.
- Shorten your shower time and install water-reducing heads.
- Reduce the amount of bath water and avoid filling the bath to a depth greater than 100mm.
- Don’t leave the tap open while shaving or brushing your teeth; use a glass of water to rinse instead.
- Reuse bath and shower water for your garden and pot plants.
- Put a layer of mulch around trees and plants to keep them hydrated for longer.
- Use an automatic washing machine on full loads only.
- Don’t let the faucet run while cleaning vegetables.