The man accused of killing ANC Youth League member Lethabo Nkoana at a Hammanskraal meeting appeared briefly in the Temba Magistrate’s Court on Monday facing murder, attempted murder, unlicensed firearm and possession of ammunition charges.
Twenty-eight-year-old Boitumelo Moatlhodi, who was arrested on Friday after the police set up a special team to probe the case, made his first court appearance for allegedly pulling the trigger which resulted in the death of Nkoana last week.
The ANC has welcomed the courts’ decision to remand the suspect in custody including it’s postponement of the matter to November 25 for a formal bail application.
The youth task team, which lauded the work done by police, said the accused now had to expose those who were responsible for Nkoana’s death.
“The NYTT [National Youth Task Team] is determined to expose those who seek to handle vulnerable members of the ANCYL and create disorder and chaos. Our movement has been infiltrated by thugs and we seek to uproot any nefarious behaviour whenever it raises its head. We believe this case will assist us in achieving that.”
Nkoana was gunned down during a political gathering of the NYTT branches in Tshwane, a week ago.
NYTT representative Sizophila Mkhize confirmed to IOL that the accused was not a member of the youth league, which hoped for a conclusion by the end of the year.
The party does, however, want to know who sent the gunman, she said.
Nkoana was shot dead by a man who opened fire during the rally at the Themba Stadium in Hammanskraal while he attempted to defuse a fight between ANC Youth League delegates on Saturday.
Police said the 25-year-old died instantly after being shot by the man, who fled the scene in a grey BMW.