Taxify drivers fear more attacks from metered taxi operators who feel that their business is being taken away.
This became clear after Centurion Rekord spoke with two Taxify drivers, who asked not to be named.
The drivers operating in Centurion spoke out after one of their own went missing on Wednesday. His car was found torched in an open field in Snake Park. The whereabouts of the driver were still unknown by Thursday.
One of the drivers who spoke to Centurion Rekord said Taxify did not take them seriously.
“We are scared, but we also need to earn a living. Every day we just need to hope and pray that we’re not going to be killed today.”
He said the biggest problem in the company was that the drivers had no one to speak to.
The second driver said colleagues were being buried almost every day of the week.
“My colleague went missing, and I’m attending another one’s funeral tomorrow,” he said.
“It is like this every week, and it is very tragic that we have to be abused like this.”
Both drivers felt that the public’s opinion did not matter to their attackers.
Taxify managing director Gareth Taylor was apparently working with the police in their investigation into the latest attack.
Despite numerous attempts, Centurion Rekord has failed to obtain comment from Taxify.
Police spokesman Captain Dave Miller said it had been a while since such attacks had been reported.
“We are aware of the rivalry between the drivers, companies and associations. We, therefore, urge people to come forward if they are being threatened.”
Miller said Centurion appeared to be a safe place to work at the moment for Taxify drivers.