News / South Africa / Local News

Lucky Nkuyane
1 minute read
2 Apr 2019
6:30 am

North West Health terminates controversial EMS contract

Lucky Nkuyane

The public will be allowed to call any private EMS ambulances and the department will compensate the chosen company on a quotation-based service.

A patient being loaded into an ambulance. Picture: Supplied by Netcare 911

The North West health department has moved to terminate its multimillion-rand contract with the controversial Buthelezi Emergency Medical Services (EMS).

Departmental spokesperson, Tebogo Lekgethwane, says the contract ended on Sunday, 31 March 2019, after a three year period.

OFM News previously reported about the termination of a multimillion-rand controversial contract between the Gupta-linked Mediosa company, which was also terminated in 2018 after providing health services in the province’s remote areas.

Lekgethwane says despite concerns raised by residents, especially those in the rural areas, the department has decided to employ the old method for the usage of private ambulances.

He says community members will now be allowed to call any private EMS ambulances of their choice and the department will, therefore, compensate the chosen company on a quotation-based service.

Lekgethwane adds the department earlier purchased 20 more ambulances in addition to the 63 the department had earlier – bringing the total to 83 ambulances.

He says private ambulances will only be used in a case where the governmental ones are unable to offer services, among other reasons.

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.