While some are celebrating, others feel he wasn’t given a fair ground to instil his philosophy on the team.
Pirates chairman confirmed Ertugral’s resignation on Wednesday afternoon after the Turk had announced on live television that he would step down after his team were embarrassed by SuperSport United on Tuesday evening.
Matsatsantsa thrashed Pirates 6-1 on a rainy night at Mbombela Stadium.
Various conspiracies as to what led to Ertugral resigned have been shared on social media platforms with the hashtag #SixGate attached to it.
Phakaaathi looks at six events which may have led to #SixGate as Ertugral’s resignation has been dubbed.
1. Former Kaizer Chiefs tag – When he was announced as coach, not many Pirates fans were pleased and some even went as far as calling him a “Chiefs reject”.
2. Hiring Carnell – He didn’t do himself any favours when he hired Bradley Carnell – a former Chiefs player – as his assistant, adding to Rowen Fernandez who was already the goalkeeper coach and also a former Amakhosi man. This made the Pirates bench all former Chiefs and the Ghost were unhappy with that.
3. Felipe Ovono – When Ertugral took over, Ovono was already on the transfer list at the Buccaneers but he took him off and gave him another chance. Ovono fumbled in two consecutive games and cost Pirates dearly, especially as he was blamed for the team’s early exit from the MTN8. Ertugral’s popularity was not done any good.
4. Fight with Gyimah – Although there have not been any clarity on what had triggered the much publicised scuffle with defender Edwin Gyimah, Ertugral was widely blamed because he is known for being temperamental.
5. Too punitive – In the lead up to the Soweto Derby, Oupa Manyisa, Brighton Mhlongo and Luvuyo Memela reportedly disregarded the team’s dietary restrictions and going for a traditional meal of mogodu which left them with runny tummies. Sources have revealed that Ertugral left Manyisa out of the match day squad as punishment for his misconduct. Manyisa was singled out for suspension as he is the captain of the team and should have lead by example in terms of dietary and other behaviour.
6. The SuperSport embarrassment – The 6-1 drubbing was the last straw. Ertugral’s body language as his team were turned into a punching bag told a story of a defeated man. Trailing 3-1 at 60 minutes, he made gestures that seemed to suggest he was giving up on his team. He resigned in the early hours of Wednesday morning.