UPDATE: Setback for Moot girl (11) after appendix surgery
“We now have to wait for the doctors on what the next step will be."
An 11-year-old Moot girl, who has undergone 18 surgical procedures following a burst appendix, has suffered a setback with her latest operation.
“We knew from the start there was a small chance this latest operation [to properly seal her intestines] would not be a success,” said Minette Streicher of her daughter Divenette.
“We had all our hopes on the operation, but that fear has now been realised.”
Divenette Streicher, a Laerskool Queenswood grade 5 learner, spent five months in hospital earlier this year before she was discharged to save on medical costs.
ALSO READ: UPDATE: Moot appendicitis girl’s 18th surgery ‘a success’
Minette said that Divenette would be discharged from hospital for her latest operation on Monday.
“We now have to wait for the doctors on what the next step will be, but it will not be within the next two months,” she said.
Rekord has previously reported that the latest operation would not only help Divenette’s recovery process, but also make her home care easier for her parents.
Divenette was first admitted to hospital in February – about a week after her appendix had burst.
“She was walking around with this intense pain,” her mother said.
At the beginning of April, thanks to a successful fundraiser, she was transferred to Kloof Mediclinic, after seven unsuccessful operations at Steve Biko hospital.
ALSO READ: UPDATE: Moot appendicitis girl to undergo surgery
For more information about fundraisers and regular updates on Divenette, visit the Facebook page created for her – Divenette Streicher brave little warrior of God.

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
