Local newsNews

Mountain View family devastated after fire ravages home

It was the day they lost everything they owned and they had to say farewell to three beloved family pets.

October 25 2019, will forever be imprinted in the hearts of the Louw family of Mountain View with much sadness.

It was on that fateful morning that the family woke to plumes of smoke from their burning home.

A day they lost everything they owned and had to say farewell to three beloved family pets.

The charred remains of a lounge suite. Photo: Joni Tollner

Charmaine Louw and her husband Arno were able to bring Arno’s mother Griet (83), who is deaf, half-blind and suffers from dementia, out in time.

“We thank God that we were able to get her outside,” said Charmaine. “She could have died.”

Nothing could be done for the contents of the home, however, including two African Grey parrots and Charmaine’s prized possession, a miniature Yorkie puppy.

Neighbours were quick to assist with hosepipes and did what they could to extinguish as much of the fire as was possible before the fire brigade arrived sometime later.

Charmaine Louw observes a burnt ceiling in the home. Photo:Joni Tollner

“Everything is still such a mess… Everything was burnt pitch black.”

The flames were so hot that television sets, a microwave and even bathroom doors melted.

Although their insurer suggested the family find alternative accommodation in the meantime, the Louw family opted to remain on their property and are currently living in their caravan.

READ MORE: NEWSFLASH: Shacks destroyed in Bremmer Street fire

Griet has gone to stay with family friends, but she is still severely traumatised.

“We can’t just leave everything like this,” said Charmaine, still visibly distraught.

“We’ve lived here for almost 20 years.”

Charmaine Louw stands in her kitchen, from which nothing could be salvaged. Photo:Joni Tollner

Charmaine said that she was grateful for all the support her family had received so far. They have received beds, clothing and food from their local community.

Tshwane emergency medical services spokesperson Charles Mabaso speculated that a fan had caused an electrical fire that quickly spread throughout the house.

“But we have not concluded our full investigation yet.”

Ward councillor Elma Nel shared her sympathies with the Louw family. “They have my full support and that of the Mountain View community.”

To assist the Louws, contact Elma Nel on 082-293-4858.

A glass bowl that stood on top of the microwave melted in the fire. Photo:Joni Tollner

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East
Rekord North
Rekord Centurion
Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

Back to top button