Five years on and still no homes for Masinenge community
Of the 882 new homes scheduled to be built, only 26 have been handed over to their owners.
For five long years, people living in the Masinenge informal settlement have waited patiently for their RDP homes.
The Masinenge slum clearance project was launched by Human Settlements MEC Ravi Pillay and Ray Nkonyeni Municipality (RNM) in 2013 when the construction site was handed over.
ALSO READ : Masinenge’s illegal MK occupants arrested
Of the 882 new homes scheduled to be built, only 26 have been handed over to their owners.
A further 103 houses are waiting for ‘snag lists’ to be completed, according to RNM municipal manager, Max Mbili.
Mr Mbili said the delay in completion had been caused by numerous problems, including the dismissal of a contractor for non-performance.
“A new tender process was opened thereafter,” he said at a press briefing on Tuesday this week.
He added that a new service provider had been appointed to complete the ‘snag list’ after which the 103 houses would be ready for occupation.
Work on 298 homes currently at foundation level, roof level and window level had been at a standstill for over a year.
A second tender for the completion of the remaining housing units had been advertised.
“We anticipate their completion in the next eight months to a year,” Mr Mbili said.
Once these units are completed, the municipality will begin the next phase of the project – the building of the remaining houses as promised five years ago.
HAVE YOUR SAY
Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram
For news straight to your phone, add us on WhatsApp 082 421 6033
