Wesley Botton
Chief sports writer
1 minute read
15 Jul 2016
6:15 pm

Discus star Hogan to appeal doping ban

Wesley Botton

The in-form discus thrower claims one of his supplements was contaminated.

Victor Hogan | Gallo

Discus thrower Victor Hogan will appeal for a reduced sanction, his lawyer confirmed on Friday, after the in-form athlete was slapped with a two-year ban this week.

Hogan’s legal representative, Barend Kellerman, said Hogan would contest the length of the sentence.

With his A and B samples having returned adverse analytical findings for methylhexaneamine, Hogan believed the substance had been contained in a supplement he ingested that had been shipped off to the United States for testing.

“The substance was found in his body through no fault of his own, and we have requested a hearing which cannot proceed until we receive the results of the tests,” Kellerman said.

While Kellerman claimed Hogan could not be banned until after the hearing, and should be allowed to compete at the Olympics, as he had not been provisionally suspended, SA Institute for Drug-Free Sport chief executive Khalid Galant confirmed the two-year sanction had become effective on Wednesday. The following day Hogan was omitted from the national team for the Rio Games.

“He can follow the appeal process, but however that unfolds, it will have no bearing on whether he goes to Rio,” Galant said.

“That decision was made independently by Sascoc based on its selection criteria.”

Kellerman hoped Hogan’s sentence would be significantly reduced, or replaced with a reprimand, if they could prove he had no intention to cheat.