Representatives of the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) will visit the country this weekend, with Durban remaining in danger of losing its hosting rights for the 2022 showpiece.
The international body will meet with members of government, the SA Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (Sascoc) and other stakeholders, a CGF spokesperson said on Friday.
This followed a decision taken at the CGF general assembly earlier this month to look for a new host if outstanding matters were not sufficiently resolved by the end of November, though the governing body insisted it would continue to support the Durban Games, and its visit this week was part of an ongoing effort to assist the hosts in reaching the looming cut-off date.
“The meetings are part of our continued dialogue and commitments to support their progress towards the November 30 deadline,” the spokesperson said. “This is part of our continued commitment to support and advise them on their first steps and initial obligations on the journey towards 2022.”
More than a year after winning a lone bid for the 2022 spectacle, as the first African city to earn the right to hold the Games, the hosts had not yet formed a local organising committee, and initial payments to the CGF were still outstanding.
Though Sascoc and members of the bid committee blamed government for the delays, which threatened to derail the R6.4 billion project, Sport and Recreation SA had made no official comment on the matter ahead of the latest visit by the international organisation.