Rudolph Jacobs
Rugby Journalist
1 minute read
31 Jan 2015
8:02 pm

Bulls thump Saracens

Rudolph Jacobs

The Bulls have comprehensively beaten Saracens 39-26 at Allianz Park on Saturday evening, effectively ending the losing run of both the Sharks and Western Province on the outskirts of London.

Picture: Thinkstock

The Bulls, who lead 13-0 at halftime, scored six tries in the end against the four of Saracens, but were impressive in the way they physically dominated the breakdowns, but would be concerned on the numerous amount of penalties they conceded at scrum-time.

Tighthead Werner Kruger was blown up several times after he struggled against Rhys Gill and when he was replaced by Marcel van der Merwe in the second matters improved, but shortly afterwards Van der Merwe left the field with a serious knee injury.

The big moment in the game arrived in the 55th minute when No 8 Pierre Spies finally took the field after been out of the game for 18 months, replacing Hanro Liebenberg, who was once again very impressive.

Spies was hardly five minutes on the field before he scored the Bulls’ fifth try, to give the men in Blue a commanding 32-7 lead in the 60th minute.

The other Bulls tries were scored by captain Deon Stegmann, Francois Hougaard, Jurgen Visser, and replacement flank Roelof Smit.

Jacques-Louis Potgieter missed his first two conversions which saw the Bulls going up 10-0 after the tries by Stegmann and Hougaard, but got the vital penalty just before the break to give the Bulls a 13-point cushion.

Potgieter also added a conversion, while replacement Handre Pollard kicked two conversions.

The homeside have been trailing 25-0 before they scored their first try by centre Chris Wyles 11 minutes after the break.

Saracens rallied back to score three tries in the last 15 minutes of which two were by South Africans in scrumhalf Neil de Kock and No 8 Ernst Joubert, while flanker Jackson Wray scored Sarries’ final try in the 80th minute to make the scoreline more respectable for the home side.

Flyhalf Charlie Hodgson kicked three conversions.