Rudolph Jacobs
Rugby Journalist
2 minute read
14 Mar 2015
9:12 pm

Chiefs end Stormers’ unbeaten run

Rudolph Jacobs

Outscoring the Stormers three tries to one the Chiefs stunned the home team at Newlands on Saturday afternoon by 28-19 to end the Capetonians previous unbeaten record in the competition this year.

Brad Weber of the Chiefs during the Super Rugby match between DHL Stormers at Chiefs at DHL Newlands on March 14, 2015 in Cape Town, South Africa. (Photo by Carl Fourie/Gallo Images)

The Stormers were looking for a fifth straight win – the Chiefs were looking for a positive start to their challenging South African tour, but the visitors boxed too clever on the day.

Despite the extremely hot conditions the Chiefs were looking to apply a fast-paced game from the outset and thrived on play as soon as it became unstructured.

A crucial third try by Chiefs flanker Sam Kane gave them a vital 28-19 lead by the 70th minute and with just 10 minutes left in the game it was appearing to be writing on the wall.

And so it was. Earlier they also delivered when wing James Lowe scored their second try in the 48th minute to take an unlikely lead of 20-16 to silence the 40,000 plus home faithful.

Trading penalties between Chiefs flyhalf Aaron Cruden and Stormers replacement pivot Demetri Catrakilis saw the Chiefs hang on to a 23-19 lead by the 62nd minute and all to play for.

The Chiefs however started to look stronger in the scrums when the Stormers strangely replaced the more dominant Steven Kitshoff and Vincent Koch with Alistair Vermaak and Frans Malherbe.

Boosted by their only try of the opening half by rightwing Kobus van Wyk in the 19th minute after flyhalf Kurt Coleman put centre Damian de Allende brilliantly into space, the Stormers lead deservedly 16-13 at the break.

But the Chiefs came to play and took the physical exchanges to the Stormers with flyhalf Aaron Cruden scoring their first five pointer in the first half in the 26nd minute to trail just 13-10.

But Newlands, who are pulling the biggest crowds in the competition, aren’t the most friendliest of places to regain your confidence if you are the visiting side, regardless if you are a former champion side, but the Chiefs were just too full of running.

The Stormers were once again awesome at scrum-time and had the renowned Chiefs scrum in retreat for most of the opening period, but the Chiefs applied a fast pace to the game from the outside despite the sweltering heat in the early 30 degrees.

A sign of the hugely confrontational affair was when Chiefs centre Sonny Bill Williams had to go for a concussion test in the 17th minute following a head collision with big Stormers tighthead prop Vincent Koch.

Stormers scrumhalf Louis Schreuder also had to leave proceedings in the first half with a concussion scare and was replaced by Nic Groom.