Last week, the PSL announced that Downs were found guilty of fielding Wayne Arendse in the game against Bidvest Wits in October last year even though the defender was initially not on the team sheet on the day.
In a press conference called by League chairman Irvin Khoza, which was attended by the PSL acting CEO Mato Madlala, PSL head of legal vivision Michael Murphy and PSL prosecutor Nande Becker, the prosecutor said that one of the reasons why the issue had taken so long was because of Sundowns’ Caf Champions League commitments, which made it difficult to find a suitable date for a sit down, while at some point there was no DC.
“This probably the most topical matter, Mamelodi Sundowns and Wayne Arendse. It’s important to note that I had no DC chairperson available from the period December 15 to January 15, our high and lower courts are in recess. The majority of the legal profession take the opportunity to take leave because it’s quite hard to take leave during the rest of the year…it’s impossible,” said Becker.
“We were able to establish on January 16 with the chairman available and the matter was sat down for hearing on February 6. The findings were handed down on April 2, 2019,” said Becker.
Becker revealed that sentencing on this matter will be done this Friday, April 12.