The pre-season tournament serves as the first meeting of the Soweto giants in the upcoming season. Saturday’s Soweto derby is expected to set a new attendance record of more than 94 000 people at the FNB Stadium.
Speaking at a press conference to announce the safety and security plan for Saturday, Stadium Management South Africa executive chairperson Jacques Grobbelaar said he was confident that the derby can better the record previously set by New Zealand and Springbok.
“Looking at ticket sales and the attendance of all service providers as per FIFA regulations, will probably beat or smash the record previously held by the Springbok for their test in 2010.”
“94 000 people is big, that is basically two Loftus Versfelds (Stadium) in one day. We are looking forward to breaking that specific record.
“For the last 10 months we have been working towards this event, we’ve had many events and safety security committee meetings with all the different role players. Over 2000 safety and security medical personal will be on duty for Saturday, and we are treating this event with all the respect it deserves as one of the biggest sporting events on the South African sports calendar,” added Grobbelaar.
A game with a big attendance such as this one is no stranger to pitch invaders. A fan lost his life at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in May after allegedly invading the pitch and disarming a Police officer, Grobbelaar says they have devised a plan to address pitch invasion.
“Any pitch invasion is trespassing and invaders can be prosecuted. We would want to say this is not allowed, it’s not part of the festivities. We have made sure that we have the backing for the police and enough security to have reinforcement around the pitch.”