Thamasanqa Magubane
1 minute read
20 Jan 2012
00:00

Residents complain of damage

Thamasanqa Magubane

IMBALI residents have been left with damaged appliances after a power surge on Wednesday....

IMBALI residents have been left with damaged appliances after a power surge on Wednesday.

The surge damaged television sets, DVD players, refrigerators, radios and microwaves in at least three homes The Witness visited. Residents there said 20 homes had been affected.

Nomfundo Mnisi, one of the affected people in Imbali 2, said the surge damaged a microwave and a television set.

“It affected many of the people on this line. Many of them were complaining that the power damaged several of their appliances. An electrical pole even caught fire.”

Mnisi said the power had gone off at about 8.30 am and came back on at mid-morning the same day, damaging her appliances.

She said although the power has not been problematic in her home, two of her neighbours were experiencing regular power failures.

Zandile Mnisi said she was shocked by the incident. “I pay my electricty bill as the meter has not been tampered with. And for something like this to happen is shocking.”

She said she was further frustrated by the fact that it will take a long time for Eskom to fix her appliances, if they find they were at fault.

“I went to Eskom and they said they will first have to check what happened and it will be a long process.”