Thamasanqa Magubane
1 minute read
29 May 2009
00:00

Ukhozi FM popular concert back on, despite SABC’s financial woes

Thamasanqa Magubane

THE hugely popular Ukhozi FM concert at the Royal Showgrounds, which had been cancelled, is back on. This after Ukhozi management pleaded their case with the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) and asked for the concert to continue....

THE hugely popular Ukhozi FM concert at the Royal Showgrounds, which had been cancelled, is back on. This after Ukhozi management pleaded their case with the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) and asked for the concert to continue.

According to the Ukhozi FM station manager, Bhodloza Nzimande, the management fought bitterly for the concert to continue. He said that “getting the concert back on track was no easy task. Last night we made urgent representation to the SABC management and we fought bitterly for the concert to continue.”

Nzimande said the failure to proceed with the concert would have been damaging for the station. “When we made the representation to the SABC, they had to consider the damaging effects this would have on the station as there are so many people who have now grown accustomed to the concert and now expect to see it.”

Terry Strachan, general manager of the Royal Agricultural Society, said the concert will go ahead on June 7, when it was originally planned to be held. He said that although he did not know why the SABC had changed its mind about the concert, he was pleased that it was back on.

“To be honest, I do not know why they changed their minds and decided to run with the concert. I believe Ukhozi wanted to go ahead with the concert and they received instruction from their head office to run with it.”

The concert was cancelled because of the SABC financial crisis, according to spokesman Kaizer Kganyago. — WR.