Ingrid Oelleman
1 minute read
13 Nov 2010
00:00

‘Victims’ want to drop case

Ingrid Oelleman

THREE alleged kidnapping and assault victims who laid charges against six accused, including the bodyguard of deputy mayor of the uMgungundlovu District, have told police they wish to withdraw the case, a magistrate was told yesterday....

THREE alleged kidnapping and assault victims who laid charges against six accused, including the bodyguard of deputy mayor of the uMgungundlovu District, have told police they wish to withdraw the case, a magistrate was told yesterday.

As a result of this development the prosecution yesterday withdrew its opposition to bail being granted to the six accused, five of whom were released yesterday on R1 000 bail each.

The bail application of the sixth accused, Boyo Sihle Zondi (who was not brought to court from prison yesterday) will be dealt with on November 17.

Those granted bail are Nkosi Mazimbela, Bheki Mbatha, Bheka Mkhize, Simphiwe Bhengu and Thembinkosi Mkhize.

Magistrate Divesh Mootheram warned the accused not to interfere or intimidate any of the state witnesses or the complainants in the case directly or via anyone else, otherwise their bail would be revoked.

The investigating officer earlier gave evidence that he had been contacted yesterday by each of the complainants in the case stating they wished to file “withdrawal statements”, making it unreasonable for him to oppose bail.