Londiwe Xulu
journalist
2 minute read
4 Aug 2022
18:32

‘Mandela Day Marathon’ which changed name has been postponed

Londiwe Xulu

KwaZulu-Natal Athletics told The Witness on Thursday afternoon that they had to postpone the marathon due to safety reasons.

The Hilton to Capture Site Half Marathon race that was planned for this Sunday has been postponed.

KwaZulu-Natal Athletics spokesperson, Mandla Mngomezulu, told The Witness on Thursday afternoon that they had to postpone the marathon, previously named the Mandela Day Marathon, due to safety reasons.

This was after receiving advice from the Road Traffic Inspectorate (RTI) that due to the high number of accidents taking place on the N3, the R103 was the only breather line, making it unviable for the road closure this weekend.

ALSO READ | Truck Driver seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on N3

“The route that we were going to use which is the R103 is also an alternative for the N3 which is currently under construction. We had sent permission requests to the RIT, uMngeni Municipality, SAPS and others using the Mandela Marathon name and due to the changes, we had to submit a new application.

“The event was planned for Sunday and by Thursday, there were still no approvals on the safety of the road and we couldn’t risk to proceed with the event considering the safety of athletes,” said Mngomezulu.

He added there were a number of safety issues that forced them to postpone the race. He said they were however 90% ready to host this race and a new date will be announced soon.

ALSO READ | Drama over Mandela Marathon

Mngomezulu said over 2 000 people had registered for the race online. Physical registrations were opened on Wednesday in Durban, on Thursday and Friday in Pietermaritzburg.

Mngomezulu said they had a number of people registering in Durban on Thursday but did not know the exact number.

The KZNA had a media briefing on Thursday morning to clarify issues around the race. Afterwards they had a meeting where it was decided the race be postponed.

Last week the Pietermaritzburg High Court ruled that they were not allowed to use the Mandela brand following an application brought by the uMgungundlovu District.

ALSO READ | Court bans use of ‘Mandela’ for Pietermaritzburg marathon

In a statement released after the media briefing, the KZNA said that by its mandate they regulate and control all athletics events in the province.