KZN

News » KZN

Clive Ndou
Politics editor
2 minute read
20 Jun 2022
06:02

Zulu King’s ritual hunt ceremony ‘not open to the public’

Clive Ndou

The ritual hunt to mark the closure of the mourning period for the late King Goodwill Zwelithini kaBhekizulu will not be open to the public.

The ritual hunt to mark the closure of the mourning period for the late King Goodwill Zwelithini kaBhekizulu will not be open to the public.

This is according to the Zulu nation prime minister, Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi.

“The ritual hunt on June 25, is not a public event and will not be open to the media or to participation outside the royal family.

“It is understandable that members of the Zulu nation would wish to join His Majesty [King Misizulu kaZwelithini] for the ritual hunt, however, this is not a forum for such participation.

“In line with tradition, it is a ritual performed by His Majesty the King and members of the royal family alone,” Buthelezi said.

Many want to join

Since the announcement of the date of the ritual hunt last week, the Zulu royal family has apparently been inundated with inquiries from members of the public who wanted to participate in the event. However, Buthelezi said the announcement was not a public invitation.

He said:

“The announcement of the date for the hunt was merely to advise the nation that His Majesty the King would be doing what tradition requires following the passing of his father in March last year.”

The ritual hunt, which will take place on Saturday, will be followed by a ritual called ihlambo (cleansing ceremony), which will take place on Sunday.

Buthelezi said the ihlambo would be open to the public.

King Zwelithini, who was the longest reigning monarch in the African continent after being in the throne for almost 50 years, died at Durban’s Chief Albert Luthuli Hospital following complications caused by diabetes and Covid-19.

Last year the late king’s cleansing ceremony, which was attended by a faction of the royal family, was plunged into controversy following the absence of the new leader, Misuzulu, at the event.

Buthelezi said last year’s cleansing ceremony was not a legitimate event as the dates of that ceremony were not announced by the reigning monarch.

King Misuzulu, who was announced as the new Zulu king in May last year, was supposed to have been officially installed in May this year. However, the coronation was postponed due to the floods that wreaked havoc across KZN.