Sakhiseni Nxumalo
Senior journalist
2 minute read
25 Jul 2022

Man arrested for using counterfeit money to buy fuel

Sakhiseni Nxumalo

A Pietermaritzburg man was arrested for using counterfeit money to pay for fuel at a local petrol station.

A Pietermaritzburg man (24) was arrested yesterday morning after he filled up at a local fuel station and paid with counterfeit money.

According to Magma Security and Investigation, the incident took place last Tuesday at about 7.30 am at Hans Schroeder Motors in Victoria Road.

It is alleged that the man was driving a Toyota Rumion.

The suspect put in petrol worth R550 and handed over five R100 counterfeit notes to make payment before driving off.

Shaheen Suleiman, the owner of Magma, said they were informed about the incident and they circulated information about the vehicle.

He said Magma Investigation Team began looking for the vehicle as part of a syndicate using the same modus operandi at several garages in the Pietermaritzburg area.

Just after midnight yesterday, said Suleiman, Magma Security reaction officer noticed the vehicle parked at the Caltex Garage in Armitage Road.

Suleiman said the officer immediately blocked off the parking space behind the said vehicle and called for backup.

He said Magma Armed Response and Special Operational units responded and the man was questioned and admitted to the offence.

He said the man and the vehicle were handed over to the SAPS in Jabu Ndlovu Street, where he was detained.

“There are about four or five garages around Pietermaritzburg that have reported incidents where they have been paid with fake money. Apparently, it’s the same syndicate but we are yet to confirm that. With the petrol price being extremely high, these guys are now doing anything to steal fuel. Fuel theft has suddenly been on the increase all over,” said Suleiman.

Suleiman said they have also received reports of fuel theft where trucks have been targeted at truck stops and the diesel pumped out.

uMgungundlovu District police spokesperson, Sergeant Sifiso Gwala, confirmed that a man had been detained at the Pietermaritzburg Police Station.

He said the man would be formally charged and appear in court once investigations have been finalized.