The new Municipal and Allied Trade Union of South Africa has taken aim at Msunduzi Municipality over the issue of temporary workers.
The union was formed in September and is affiliated with the unions that broke away from Cosatu. About 100 temporary workers staged a picket outside the city hall on Wednesday, accusing the municipality of lying about the 100% absorption of its temporary workers.
The union’s regional chairperson, Nduduzo Madiba, said there were still over 1 000 workers employed as temporary workers, including 200 from the Expanded Public Works Programme.
Madiba said some of the union’s members who were intitially absorbed by the municipality had since had their appointments reversed.
“They had worked, were paid and had started opening accounts because they thought they could afford things as they had been hired permanently. All of a sudden, they got letters telling them that the strategic management committee had taken a resolution to withdraw their appointment. They said it had been a mistake that they were hired in the first place. Now they are left with these accounts and they do not know how they are going to pay them,” he said.
Msunduzi spokesperson Thobeka Mafumbatha said she could not comment on the matter of those workers whose contracts were withdrawn, saying the matter was currently being discussed at the bargaining council. She confirmed the municipality had absorbed 1 052 contract workers on July 1, but said some contract workers who were employed under the Expanded Public Works Programme and who were covered by a specific ministerial determination “remain as contract workers”.