Msunduzi Municipality employees on Monday called off a strike over operational issues, which would have seen service delivery across the city disrupted.
On Monday evening the municipality issued a warning on its Facebook page alerting residents and businesses about the likely disruptions in services.
“The municipality wishes to advise residents and businesses that there is currently a disruption of service delivery as a result of employees that have engaged in an unlawful strike. The affected services include refuse removal, street sweeping, emptying of public bins and removal of illegal dumping as well as services to businesses.
“The senior management is addressing the matter. The consumers are assured that the municipality is working hard to minimise the impact on residents and businesses. We apologise for the inconvenience that the consumers may be experiencing,” read the warning.
However, later in the evening, Msunduzi said the strike had been called off after consultations with senior management.
Municipal spokesperson Ntobeko Mkhize said the protest was started by waste management employees on Monday morning.
I hear it has to do with operational matters and a few of them are trying to get to work but it’s at a slow pace. The city manager has issued a warning to the employees telling them that if they do not stop the strike and go back to work there will be consequences.
Reacting to Msunduzi’s initial notice on Facebook, Sandile Gwala said, “We are used to this kind of service delivery, with or without a strike, nothing new here.”
Ozzy Joosab said, “Wouldn’t make a difference. PMB will still be a City of Filth.”
Clinton Sadler added, “Working hard to minimise the impact!! What a joke!!! so far they haven’t succeeded after 26 years.”
Melissa Baker said, “But we must pay our bills otherwise we get disconnected. But your staff don’t do their jobs!”