Power is back on after substation explosion
'We would also like thank our engineers for working around the clock to ensure that power is restored before the evening deadline,' the metro’s spokesman, Themba Gadebe, said.

The power supply to affected areas had been restored at 1am this morning, 16 hours earlier than expected.
Several areas of Kempton Park were without power since Friday morning following an explosion at the Aston Manor substation.
The affected areas such as Aston Manor, Nimrod Park, parts of Pomona, parts of Glen Marais and Bonaero Park have all been restored.
The municipality wishes to thank residents for their patience.
“We would also like thank our engineers for working around the clock to ensure that power is restored before the evening deadline,” the metro’s spokesman, Themba Gadebe, said.
Previous article:
Repair work at the Aston Manor substation is 75 per cent complete, following the successful installation of panels and cables on Sunday.
“We are very happy that the work at the substation is running on schedule. What remains at this stage is the commissioning and testing of all equipment,” Ekurhuleni’s spokesman Themba Gadebe said.
Power is expected to be restored by Monday evening.
Previous article:
Power to certain areas in Kempton Park will only be restored by Monday night and not Sunday night as previously expected.
Affected areas include Aston Manor, Nimrod Park, parts of Pomona, parts of Glen Marais and Bonaero Park.
Preliminary investigations into the explosion at the Aston Manor substation in the early hours of Friday morning revealed a possible cable fault.
Ekurhuleni engineers will confirm the early findings when the new equipment is installed and the repair process complete.
“However, at this stage it looks like the Bonaero Park feeder cables caused the fault. It is important to emphasise that all our substations are up to date in terms of their maintenance schedules,” Ekurhuleni’s spokesman, Themba Gadebe, said on Saturday.
Previous article:
PARTS of Kempton Park will possibly be left without power until Sunday night after a transformer substation on the corner of Dann and Buchner roads blew up in the early hours of Friday morning.
Areas affected include Aston Manor, Bonaero Park, Nimrod Park as well as parts of Pomona and Glen Marais.
According to Nick Vauqulin, an electrical engineer, the substation blew up at around 1.45am this morning. The team has been there since then trying to fix the problem.
“At this stage we are still unsure what the cause might have been but we suspect it could have been a faulty switch,” Vauqulin said.
“We are hoping the problem will be resolved by latest Sunday night.”
André du Plessis, DA ward 23 councillor, said a whole transformer inside the sub-station burnt out and it would need to be replaced completely.
The municipality has apologised for the inconvenience and assured residents that Ekurhuleni engineers were on the site fixing the problem.
Residents will be updated on the progress of repairs.
