MunicipalNews

Wall of trench dug on Quinine Street falls in

'This project will take years but for now the first step is done'

QUININE Street residents in Glen Marais are in a bind after the side of a three-metre deep trench wall fell in on June 15.

The 118m long trench was dug middle May to upgrade the main storm water line which goes straight through to OR Tambo International Airport. A hundred new culverts has to be installed to create a third water line. Fifty-four culverts have already been installed.

“This project will take years but for now the first step is done,” said ward councillor, Joey Roos. According to Roos the project must be completed by July 1 because of the end of the financial year.

Contractors from SR Construction, as well as an engineer from Cevec, were present on site last week to come up with a solution for the wall that fell in due to the heavy rain.

“I know the residents are edgy about this project but unfortunately it has to be done to ensure the homes don’t flood each time there is rain,” said Roos.

Home owners from the corner of Haak-en-Steek Street through to the end of Quinine Street on the corner of Veld Street have been struggling to get out of their driveways since the trench has been dug.

“Since the wall fell in residents can’t get into their driveways with their cars. I have arranged with MML Security and PHS COPS to patrol this area more frequently to ensure the safety of residents’ cars parked outside on the opposite side of the road,” said ward councillor Jaco Terblanche.

This project will be Roos’ last before she retires on August 4 after 16 years of service to the DA.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Kempton Express in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button