MunicipalNews

Rain, sewage and chemical spills delay Bergrivier road works

A recycling company has closed down after being affected by the construction work

HEAVY rains, sewage blockages and chemical spills have all been cited as the reasons for the delay in the Bergrivier Road road works.

The first phase of the upgrade to Bergrivier Road, which stretches across Chloorkop and Terenure, was meant to be completed by the end of July, but to date, the road works are continuing.

According to a source, who wished to remain anonymous, the cause of the delays were due to heavy rains experienced in March, which put a pause on the construction of the road. The wet weather also caused some damage to the earth works.

Also read:

Upgrade and widening of Bergrivier Drive to start

Businesses affected by roadworks on Bergrivier Drive

Following the bad weather conditions, a re-test on the earth works had to be conducted and approved before work could continue, therefore causing further delays.

“With construction work, it is important to understand that the dates given are merely estimations of when the work is due to be completed. Also in construction, there are hiccups that disturb the flow of the work,” the source explained.

“With regards to the businesses being affected, alternative routes were made available so they could still have access to their companies.”

After two weeks of trying, EXPRESS finally got hold of ward councillor Sibanyoni Ndala, who added two other reasons for the delay.

“In the past few months, there have been a chemical spill and sewage blockage in the area, which have affected the work,” Ndala clarified.

A sewage spill on August 29 slowed down the road works. Photograph: Franco Smit Marais
A sewage spill on August 29 slowed down the road works. Photograph: Franco Smit Marais

He said the environmental affairs department conducted investigations and found that the chemical spill was coming from a nearby factory. The chemicals reached the construction site via pipes and affected the work. According to Ndala, this issue was resolved between the department and the company involved.

There was also a sewage blockage which led to a sewage spill in the area on August 29.

“I contacted the water and sanitation department and the issue was resolved about two weeks ago. Then again, last week, there was another spillage. I spoke to the department yet again on September 16 and they ensured me that everything was fixed.”

Ndala said he spoke to the owner of White Hazey, Mavela Situnku, who estimated this first phase of construction would be completed by the end of the week. And by Monday, September 26, they would begin with the second phase. Phase 2 is estimated to take about three months to complete.

Sadly, this time has been extremely difficult for business owners situated on Bergrivier Drive. The road works have affected most of their businesses financially because of the limited access to their premises.

For some, like FMS Recyclers, which has been in existence for about six years, it has led to the business being shut down. Owner Franco Smit Marais told EXPRESS his business started experiencing financial troubles a few months back already.

By the end of August, his business was R40 000 behind with rent and he could no longer pay his employees.

PHASE 2, scheduled to begin by Monday next week, is estimated to take about three months to complete. Photograph: Franco Smit Marais
PHASE 2, scheduled to begin by Monday next week, is estimated to take about three months to complete. Photograph: Franco Smit Marais

“The road works affected my business badly because my customers didn’t have any access to the premises and had to enter via someone else’s business, which was an inconvenience for the business owner and my clients,” Marais said.

According to Marais, the workers hired to do the job at times go for days without working, and instead can be seen sitting around on site doing nothing.

“If you speak to them they laugh at you and say ‘go complain at town council’, which will get you nowhere anyway. They also hurled insults at us when we tried to take photos of the road works.

“My business provides income for hundreds of people by buying the paper and plastic they collect,” Marais explained.

Sylvia Goncalves, director at Alpha Builders Supply and Hardware, which is also affected by the construction, said the owner of White Hazey told them the road would be open by the first week of August.

“We are completely in the dark. I predict this road closure will close this 40-year-old business (Alpha Builders Supply) by the end of the year if nothing is done,” Goncalves said with frustration.

By September 6, two lanes had been completed but not opened for public use.

EXPRESS contacted the metro again for comment but with no luck.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Kempton Express in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button