EKURHULENI metro police chief, Bafana Mahlabe, is not away on study leave as the DA claimed.
He is in his office carrying out his duties as per normal.
The DA released a statement two weeks ago claiming Mahlabe would be away on study leave for the next 18 months to complete a Metro Policing Diploma with the Tshwane Metro Police Department.
The DA obtained an official letter from Mahlabe to the ex-mayor of Ekurhuleni, Mondli Gungubele, informing Gungubele about his planned study leave. The letter was dated July 20, 2016.
EXPRESS spoke to Mahlabe on Monday morning. He confirmed he was not away on leave. He said he was scheduled to attend the course, explaining this would only be for the purpose of upgrading his skills. The course had since been cancelled.
Also read:
• ‘The party is over’, warns new Ekurhuleni Metro Police chief
“As chief of police, I am qualified for the position I hold. This post required someone with extensive knowledge and experience in the security sector, which I have,” Mahlabe told EXPRESS.
The former South African National Defence Force (SANDF) colonel has about 16 years experience with the military, having completed all the military courses as well as serving the practicals.
Boasting an impressive background in firearm training, engineering, military combat, tactics and intelligence, which he acquired in South Africa, Uganda and Bulgaria, Mahlabe is a former uMkhonto WeSizwe cadre and was a member of the National Intelligence Agency after serving in the SANDF.
Mahlabe also has a political science diploma. In May, he completed a forensic investigation course in China.
“The course I was scheduled to complete was just part of skills development and upgrading my knowledge as someone within the security sector.”
The opposition party accused Mahlabe of not having the qualifications to hold his current position.
“We were against the appointment of Mahlabe in the position of chief of police as we knew he did not have the necessary qualifications, which this letter now proves,” the DA’s Ekurhuleni leader, Ghaleb
Cachalia, and Alderman Tania Campbell, chief whip of the party, said.
“We called on the Gauteng Community Safety MEC, Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane, last year to investigate the eligibility of Mahlabe to hold office. A call which landed on deaf ears, as the ANC seems only interested in furthering cadre deployment at the expense of the people.”
