CrimeNews

Dumi’s alleged killer denied bail

Three men have been charged in connection with his death

THREE accused held in connection with the attempted hijacking of actor Dumi Masilela, have been charged with his murder.

Bail was denied on Friday for one of the three accused charged with the murder of the Rhythm City actor, Dumi Masilela of Van Riebeeck Park.

Sfundo Nkosi (29) stood for bail in Benoni Magistrate’s Court.

Also read:

Van Riebeeck Park actor’s killers were on a ‘hijacking spree’

Inside Dumi’s memorial service

It is alleged that Nkosi, together with Bongani Masombuka (34) and Khumbudzo Mukhuba (27) hijacked a man and stole his Jeep Wrangler in Daveyton on August 2.

The same vehicle was used when the accused allegedly shot Masilela in an attempted hijacking on the same day in Tembisa.

Gauteng community safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane told The Sowetan there were processes that had to be followed with regards to ballistic results and an identification parade.

“We could not just charge them,” she was quoted as saying.

Masilela had been parked in his car in Tembisa on August 2 when a black Jeep approached and a shot was fired at him as he tried to drive away. He was hit by the bullet and later died in hospital.

During proceedings at the Benoni Magistrate’s Court, state prosecutor Lumka Phoswa said one set of fingerprints that were found in the hijacked Jeep Wrangler that was apparently involved, was positively linked to Nkosi.

Nkosi and Masombuka were found in possession of the hijacked Jeep Wrangler that was allegedly used in the attempted hijacking of Masilela, and in possession of an unlicensed firearm.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Kempton Express in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button