ONE suspected airport-following robber was killed in a shootout on the N3 on Monday morning while another two were arrested.
Firearms and a hijacked vehicle had been recovered by the police.
According to Brig Vishnu Naidoo, police spokesperson, members of the South African Police Service National Investigation Unit (NINU) and the flying squad acted on intelligence.
Also read:
• Speedy response by security forces foils airport robbery
• Breakthrough made in airport-following robberies
• OR Tambo International Airport reaction team nabs four suspects
“The unit received intelligence that a group of men using a white Mercedes Benz ML is targeting commuters travelling from OR Tambo International Airport. The team followed up on the intelligence and spotted the Mercedes travelling from the airport,” Naidoo said.

“Attempts to have the vehicle stop led to a shootout on the N3 near the Marlborough off-ramp. One male suspect was shot dead and two men were arrested. The police also recovered two unlicensed firearms. The Mercedes ML, which the suspects were using, was reported hijacked in the Norwood area in October.”
The suspects are likely to face charges of unlawful possession of firearms and ammunition, armed robbery and murder. It is also possible that these suspects could be linked to at least five other airport following robberies.
The recovered firearms will be analysed by forensic experts to determine if they were used in other crimes.
“This is a significant breakthrough to our efforts to combat crimes in and around OR Tambo International Airport, especially the crimes where people are being followed from the airport and being robbed,” Naidoo said.
The suspects will appear either in Kempton Park Magistrate’s Court or Alexandra Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday on the first three charges at least.

