‘Waste removal war’ looms as union objects to dismissals
The union described the City of Ekurhuleni’s decision to dismiss these workers as irrational.

The South African Municipal Workers’ Union (SAMWU) on Wednesday promised to “fearlessly fight” for the immediate reinstatement of the waste removal workers at the Kempton Park depot, who were dismissed earlier this week.
In a statement, the union said they were dismissed to cover up money laundering.
The union described the City of Ekurhuleni’s decision to dismiss these workers as irrational.
“The employer contends that employees were unruly and committed gross misconduct which warrants immediate termination of their contracts of employment without following any disciplinary processes.
Also read:
• WATCH: Piles of waste outside transfer station set alight
• More waste collection workers at Kempton depot dismissed
• Ekurhuleni dismisses 40 unruly Kempton waste collection workers
“When workers reported for duty on Monday, they were randomly pointed out to police by management for preventing contractors, which were illegally appointed by the City, to manage waste collection and disposal. Following the employees’ release from police custody, the employer proceeded to give the employees letters of immediate dismissal from employment,” SAMWU said.
SAMWU believes Ekurhuleni does not need waste collection and disposal contracts, what is needed is capacitation and reinforced staff to ensure that waste is collected and disposed of in line with the City’s schedule.
“The City has funded vacancies in the waste department, but instead of ensuring that these vacancies are filled in line with the City’s employment policies, they have rushed to fill the pockets of tenderpreneurs who are known to be benefactors of politicians in the City.
“Contractors always charge exorbitant amounts for the same work municipal employees can do, on top of that the contractors pay their employees peanuts with no job security or benefits.”
SAMWU said it was surprised that despite talks in the local labour forum not being fully exhausted on the appointment of these contractors in terms of Section 77 and 78 of the Municipal Systems Act, the City rushed to appoint these contractors, flouting legal prescripts in the process.
“We are aware that politicians in the City are positioning themselves for elective congresses of the ANC and as such they have seen an opportunity to launder money through these contractors to boost their candidature using taxpayers’ money. We will not be silent when municipal resources are corruptly used for politicking at the expense of service delivery.
“To show that this contracting business is a front to allow politicians to launder the City’s resources, these contractors have been invoicing the City for work that had not been done, or work that was completed by employees of the City. We caution to desist from provoking municipal workers and declaring a war with them, as this is a war that municipal workers are ready to fight to the bitter end,” said the union.
“We will fearlessly fight for the immediate reinstatement of these employees as we believe the City flouted provisions of the Labour Relations Act and does not have any cause to dismiss these employees. Over and above this, the terminations are meant to instil fear among workers while further ensuring that more money is laundered for political purposes.”
Metro spokesperson, Themba Gadebe, on Thursday said the metro’s position remained unchanged.
*Copy has been updated since first published
