Local newsNews

No 11-hour power outage planned – Lourenco

Kempton Park suburbs will not experience an 11-hour power outage on Friday and Saturday.

Residents are advised to ignore the message that is circulating on WhatsApp that alleges that there will be a lengthy power outage on Friday and Saturday.

Part of the message reads: ‘An 11-hour planned power supply interruption will affect many residents on Friday when the City of Ekurhuleni carries out urgent repairs to electrical equipment at the Van Riebeeck Park Substation.’

Ward councillor Tracey Lourenco told Express that she is aware of the message and that it is fake.

ALSO READ: Terenure resident cements change

“It is not true, there will be no such planned power outage and repairs. This message is causing unnecessary panic among residents and it is being forwarded on many WhatsApp groups,” said Lourenco.

The message further alleges that suburbs to be affected include Kempton Park West, Terenure, Birch Acres, Edleen and Van Riebeeck Park.

One resident also highlighted to Express the confusion on the date as the message says the power outage will be on Friday (June 12); however, June 12 is on Saturday. June 12 was on a Friday, last year.

“It seems the message was sent during last year’s massive power outage. But I just want to assure residents that there is no such power outage planned for Friday or Saturday,” added Lourenco.

“We plead with residents to also refrain from forwarding this message.”

Also follow us on:

   

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Kempton Express in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button