Distraught mother calls for action after daughter (6) raped on KZN school premises
A mother demands justice after her six-year-old daughter was raped, allegedly by a classmate at school.
The heartbroken mother of a young rape victim from eSikhaleni in the King Cetshwayo District of KZN demands justice and the arrest of the suspect.
According to Zululand Observer, this after the victim (6) was raped, allegedly by a fellow learner at Mizikayifani Primary School.
The incident occurred on April 25 at the school premises, and the matter was reported the following day to the police.
“My daughter said the incident occurred during the break inside the school toilets. What hurts is that the school is aware of the incident, the police are also aware, but nothing has been done. I was forced to remove my daughter from the school as no one is interested in doing anything. The boy is roaming the streets freely,” she said.
She added that her daughter confided in her older sister about her rape ordeal.
Graphic details warning: Sensitive readers be advised
“I discovered she was bleeding. I was shocked and could not believe my eyes. As I was still confused, I allowed her to go and play. After a short while, I called her back and ordered her to lie on the bed. That is when I started to believe she had been raped.
“I immediately packed the underwear she wore the previous day and rushed to the clinic. At the clinic, nurses called the police and she was taken to Ngwelezana’s Thuthuzela Centre where the doctor confirmed the child was raped,” said a vividly distraught mother.
King Cetshwayo Cluster police spokesperson Captain Siyanda Shangase confirmed that a rape case was opened at eSikhaleni SAPS and is being investigated by the Empangeni Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit.
Commenting on the incident, the DA in the province called on KZN police commissioner Lieutenant General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi to ensure the immediate arrest of the suspect.
DA MPL Sakhile Mngadi said the young girl concerned was not raped on an isolated dirt pathway, but within the very walls of her school; a place that should be a sanctuary of knowledge and protection became the backdrop of a brutal violation.
“Today, the alleged perpetrator, described by the child as a ‘much older boy’, still walks freely and routinely frequents the classroom and speaks to the teacher. His ongoing presence is a continued threat to every child within this school,” said Mngadi.
The Department of Education was contacted for comment but a response is still forthcoming.
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.
Read original story on www.citizen.co.za