Soshanguve residents demand permanent solution over recurring sewer blockage
The metro says the sewer blockages in Soshanguve L extensions are due to the ageing infrastructure in the area, and that they are working to resolve the matter.
Tshwane blames the recurring sewer blockages of Dintlhaga Street in Soshanguve on the ageing infrastructure.
This comes after residents remain unhappy over the sewer spilling over onto the roadway along the boundaries of their homes.
The blockages are now so bad that they hinder travel routes on Dintlhaga Street.
Residents say the blockage started in June after a slow leak occurred, and was later reported to the metro in July, as it had worsened.
According to the metro, the ongoing sewer blockages in the area are predominantly due to a collapsed section of the 400mm concrete collector pipe, which passes under the Soshanguve Magistrate Court.
“Infrastructure age plays a critical role in sewer blockages in the area.
“According to our records, the collector line was initially installed in 1973; therefore, the pipeline has surpassed its lifespan.
“The regional technical team replaced about 100m of the line in the past financial year inside the Soshanguve Magistrate Court,” said metro spokesperson Selby Bokaba.
Bokaba explained that the technical team has, on many occasions, tried to clear the blockage along the pipeline without success.
“The team pressure-jetted the pipeline for more than a week without making a dent in the blockage.
“When jetting through the manhole next to Erf 3320, the nozzle only travels for about 2m into the manhole and comes to a complete standstill due to an obstruction in the pipe.
“Based on previous experience of conducting repairs along the pipe, the preliminary findings are that there could be a rock in the pipe, or the pipe has collapsed just 2m upstream of the manhole next to Erf 3320,” he said.
Bokaba said normally, when the technical team encounters such a problem, the solution would be to carry out a spot repair on the problematic section.
“However, on this section of the pipeline, conducting spot repairs in-house may not be practical or feasible as the problematic section of the collector pipe is between six and seven meters deep; therefore, working at such deep heights comes with high risks that [regional teams] are not capacitated to handle.
“For example, management of community risks from deep excavations, management of fall risks for employees, deep excavations, confined spaces, etc.”
Despite the situation remaining unchanged at the moment, Tshwane is working to resolve the matter.
“Consequently, the required repairs have been escalated to the city’s planning division for urgent attention.
“Complete replacement of the aged collector pipeline will provide a permanent solution to the problem,” Bokaba said.
Ward 35 councillor Kholofelo Mashapa said, “This thing has been ongoing for a very long time before I stepped in as a councillor. It started from a resident’s backyard”.
Mashapa said after becoming aware of the situation, he went to examine the blockage on Monday, July 27.
He emphasised the challenges faced by the residents, saying, “It’s a problem because the bigger issue that I am concerned about is the residents’ health.
“If they cannot be helped, Tshwane must suggest an alternative for the time being, because people cannot live under such conditions for many days.”
He said he has escalated the matter to Tshwane’s department of water and sanitation, and he has also included the sewer line plan in his integrated development plan.


Residents have relayed their frustration over the ongoing sewer blockage and called on the metro for permanent resolutions.
“This issue has been persistent since 2001. It comes and goes. Recently, it returned just before the school holidays in June, and it has worsened because the sewage is now flowing onto the streets.
“We have been reporting this since then, but the issue remains unresolved,” said Lesego Malefane.
Malefane added that the overflowing sewage has affected their daily living, complaining, “I can’t go outside, and it is affecting my business as well because I can’t drive my car through the sewage.
“Another problem is that whenever we use the bathroom, the waste comes out of the sewer.”
Another resident, Caroline Molakeng, said, “Mine started on Friday, July 25. For the past few days, I have been unable to go outside because the sewage is everywhere.”
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to bennittb@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram or TikTok.
