SPORT: Markram wasn’t expecting to be in Cricket World Cup
VIDEO: "I was very fortunate to have the selectors, coaching staff and Faf (Du Plessis) show a bit of faith in me and it goes a long way."

Proteas and Multiply Titans batsman Aiden Markram said he was convinced he would not be going to the ICC Cricket World Cup, which kicked off on Thursday.
The 24-year-old Pretoria-born player failed to make the most of his chances, especially in his ODI career.
Markram admitted that he was not in great form three months prior to the World Cup, averaging only 29.58 in 18 games for the Proteas.
ALSO READ: Northerns Cricket Union honours star performers at Annual Awards
With the rise of Reeza Hendricks and Rassie van der Dussen on international level, Markram’s chances of getting on the plane to England looked very slim.
However, a loss of form by Hendricks in the Pakistani series meant that the former U/19 World Cup winner might have a chance – but he would need to do something over-the-top in the Momentum Cup to be reconsidered for selection.
Subsequently, Markram superbly blasted 542 runs for the Titans during the competition, including three centuries in five games, following this with an impressive stint at Hampshire.
This saw him make the Proteas squad at Hendricks’ expense.
“I was convinced about three months ago that it was not going to happen and that was my own fault, to be fair. As a batter, you need to put runs on the board and unfortunately I was unable to do that.
“I was very fortunate to have the selectors, coaching staff and Faf (Du Plessis) show a bit of faith in me and it goes a long way. Hopefully I can do it justice.”
Markram admitted that for the past six months, he had been stressing about being selected for the World Cup.
ALSO READ: SA against England in first match of Cricket World Cup on Thursday
“The selection of the World Cup team ended up being such a draining process, so I decided just to take my focus off that and instead focus my energy and mind on the team that I was playing for, which happened to be the Titans. I went to Hampshire before the World Cup squad was announced.
“I wish I could have done it earlier, because I feel like it helped me (to focus less on the WC squad). I think it is all about selection and who is the best person suited to represent the country – at that time, I did not have the numbers to justify my selection,” he said.
WATCH:
Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
