Local sportSport

Pollard off to Montpellier, Morné Steyn on his way back to Loftus

After weeks of speculation, the Blue Bulls Company confirmed that Handré Pollard will continue his career in France after this year's Rugby World Cup, while they also announced that former Bulls and Springbok flyhalf Morné Steyn will play SuperRugby at Loftus next season.

The Blue Bulls Company confirm on Tuesday that Bulls and Springbok flyhalf Handré Pollard (25) has agreed terms with French club, Montpellier.

Pollard, currently preparing in Melbourne with the Bulls squad to play the Rebels on Friday, indicated his intention to the BBC when a renewal of his contract came up for discussion.

The flyhalf, who has scored 581 points (nine tries, 110 penalties, 88 conversions and four drop goals) for the Bulls joined the franchise in 2013, straight out of school.

He has played 56 times for the Bulls thus far and became a Springbok in 2014. He also played 39 tests so far, amassing 339 points.

“Handré has been a true servant for us for six years. He has been an outstanding asset, not only to the teams he played for, but also our supporters, to whom he endeared himself from early on with his attitude towards the Vodacom Bulls. He will be missed for sure, but we cannot fault his decision to continue his career in France. We wish him well,” said Alfons Meyer CEO of the Blue Bulls Company.

* Meanwhile the Blue Bulls Company (Pty) Ltd also confirmed that the 34-year old Morné Steyn will re-join the Bulls for the 2020 Super Rugby season.

Steyn will be 35 years old in July this year.

He is still the all-time points-scorer for the team (1449) and played in 124 matches for the Bulls. He left the franchise, the only one he ever played for in South Africa, in 2013 to join Stade Francais.

Steyn also played 66 test matches for South Africa and scored 736 points.

The BBC’s Alfons Meyer, confirmed the signing.

“It is great for us. He is a very experienced player who can still play at the highest levels. He knows the culture and passion of the Bulls as well as any one and will no doubt contribute massively, not only on the field, but also off it. We are very pleased to have him back in the Bull kraal,” Meyer said.

 

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Koos Venter

Koos Venter is an experienced journalist who started his career 35 years ago, before the days of cellphones, modern computer systems, the internet and digital cameras, as a correspondent for Nexus, the former national magazine of the Department of Correctional Services. He has since worked for various other publications in all aspects of news coverage, as a columnist and in the production side of newspapers and online publications. Since 2007 he has specialized as a sports writer, while he is also regularly used as an analyst and commentator by several radio stations.
Back to top button